Help Us Get Out the Word That Vultures Rock Through Your Poems!
If you think about all the things that vultures do for the environment, they really do ROCK! But vultures are in big trouble. Their numbers are dropping around the world, mainly because people know so little about them and why they need to be protected.
To honor vultures for Halloween 2013 and also help raise awareness of their plight, Vultures Rock is sponsoring a poetry contest for kids ages 8 to 12. Write a poem on a topic related to vultures, such as: why vultures are important to our world, what vultures look like, why vultures are beautiful, what’s happening to the world’s vultures, or something spooky about vultures and Halloween—or choose a topic of your own that describes how you think vultures rock.
3 winners will be announced by October 28, 2013, just in time for Halloween. Each winner will receive an iPod Shuffle. Winning poems will be published on the Vultures Rock website (www.vulturesrock.com). Students will be identified by first name only.
- Kids ages 8 to 12 are eligible to submit poems of no more than 16 lines (not counting the title).
- Poems do not have to rhyme.
- Poetry must be the original work of the entrant.
- Each entrant may submit up to two poems.
- Poems must emphasize the theme Vultures Rock, but the words “vultures rock” do not have to appear in the poems or their titles.
- All entries must be submitted to the Vultures Rock website by October 18, 2013. The entry form MUST include name, address (street, city, state, zip), age, grade level, telephone number, email address, and poem with title.
- By submitting your poem, you give Children’s Software Press permission to publish your poem on the Vultures Rock site.
- The judge’s decisions are final.
We can’t wait to hear from you and read your poems about how you think Vultures Rock!